Friday 1 November 2013

Italian dialects




Here is a video for those of you that takes a particular interest in languages and/or dialects. If you're not interested in dialects at all maybe you like coffee and/or history and then I have another video for you. 

Enrico Brignano (actor and comedian) lets us experience some of the Italian dialects. It doesn't matter if you don't understand Italian because it's the sound of the dialects that matters the most, not the words. And for that matter, sometimes he's speaking gibberish.....

Some of the dialects I haven't heard myself - like some of the northern dialects (Trentino Alto-Adige), but when I hear him speaking I immediately get a picture in my head of those Italians from Tyrol standing on their mountain tops shouting to each other...

My mother-in-law is from Puglia and sounds just like what you hear on the video. Enrico is from Rome so the Lazio dialect he gets a 100 %. This is also more or less how I speak since I live in this region. The dialect from Marche is also spot on. When we moved into the new house we had an electrician from this region helping us and he sounded just like this. And what an embarrassing experience for me! I didn't understand a single word of what he was saying and had to ask him to repeat everything at least four times.... In the end I just nodded and agreed to everything he asked me - which resulted in 2 lamps being put upside-down on the wall....

The two dialects from Sicily and Campania are the "classic" dialects from American Italian gangster films so I guess most people recognize those... But now it's time to listen to what Enrico has to say. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment